Saturday, July 10, 2010

So what is holding me back? You mean besides the fact that someone is telling me that God is not telling me what I thought He was? Oh - what is holding me back is that I am scared! I guess I lack faith that I can do it - faith that I can do the things that God has commanded.

And want to know what is so sad about this? I am forever telling people to remember to have faith. Matthew 17:20 says "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Another favorite verse of mine is Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." So, with this being said, I looked up the word FAITH in the Bible, and found there are 422 instances of the word in there. And I am scared? God is telling me (and you) to have faith. Why am I lacking it?

As I said in the first post, I run the food pantry that is housed in our local church. Right now the pantry just gives people a sack of groceries, some toiletries, and bread items. We do not minister to the patrons, nor do we do any other type of outreach. However, due to what started out as an unfortunate circumstance, but turned into a fantastic blessing, my friend Pat and I became the "Drive By Bread Ladies".

Each Saturday at the pantry, we get between 20-60 banana boxes of bread and pastries. We give this bread and pastries to our patrons. But when we close each day, we have a lot left over. So what are we to do with the leftovers? We cannot just get rid of it. And we were told we cannot leave it in the church. Because I want this posting to remain positive, I won't go into details as to how it became started as an "unfortunate circumstance". But let's just say that this one time I listened to God telling not to throw out the bread or waste it. There was something more positive I could do with it. It took some time to think about it, but what could that be?

Other food pantries in town already have their fill of bread; the mission gets bread from Panera. And we are the only pantry open on Saturday. So what were we going to do with 30 or so extra boxes of bread? Why not go into the low income neighborhoods and see if people who don't come into our pantry need it?

So we decided to turn this "unfortunate circumstance" into something positive. Give God the credit. I listened to Him and knew in my heart that He would help me give all the bread away. We drive through the low income neighborhoods and give it to anyone who is sitting outside. At first people are skeptical. No one gives you something for free!

We are building relationships with the people on the streets. We are meeting them in their neighborhoods. We are treating them as real people - not like they have no money. They know our trucks; they smile and wave when we come down the street. One Saturday two ladies dubbed us the "Drive By Bread Ladies". That is how we got our names!

So, the first leg of my journey has begun. I have started to follow God's calling and am starting to do more than just feed people. Yes, I am still giving them bread. But I am building the relationships with them. I am giving them Bible tracts. And I am building trust with them.

And when I am ready to move on to the next leg of my journey with them, it will be an easy step.

No comments:

Post a Comment