Sunday, July 25, 2010

Adopt-a-Block Ready to Begin

Yesterday I talked about the Adopt-A-Block adventure. Today I talked with a pastor about putting this into effect. So, I've set a date. Beginning August 21, this will become official. We will begin serving the community. We will become servants to people in Bloomington.

God tells us that we are created to serve Him. "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do". Ephesians 2:10.

I am going to scout around the west side of Bloomington and find a block for us to serve. My intention is to tell them we are to be their servants for life. Using what the Dream Center in LA told their adoptees, we will say something similar: "We are your neighborhood Servants. We are here for life. How can we serve you?" Our goal will be to serve them, to love them, to lead them to Christ. We will bless them and to continue to build relationships with them. To show them that they are people and that just because they live in a poor section of town, they still matter to Christ.

The first thing I have to do is to get volunteers. I have blessings from a pastor. I'm going to try to get volunteers from two churches to help. People might not want to do this because it takes time from their day. Some serve the food pantry where I also serve on Saturdays. But knowing that this is a different type of ministry I might get other volunteers. I'm going to bring it up in my small group (Bible study) today and see if there are any volunteers there. They might do it. Some of them are not involved in anything.

God is really talking to me. And I am listening. I am excited because I for once have people backing me and telling me that God IS working in me! What a blessing.

I cannot wait to get to heaven and receive my crown. "Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me." John 12:26

No comments:

Post a Comment